KidsEdge’s Interviewing Skills programme prepares your kids for all aspects of the interview. During the programme, they learn key-skill-based exercises including story telling, phonics, reading & spelling, show and tell and writing. In addition, they will learn the importance of posture, eye contact, proper etiquette and smiling.
Your child will acquire strong listening skills, and develop the ability to respond in a relevant and intelligent manner. Our students learn to make connections between their social and academic life, and their ability to interact with adults will be heightened.
- Strong communication skills are a programme emphasis.
- We teach children to use complete sentences, clearly articulate their thoughts, and greet teachers and adults with respect.
- Development of vocabulary is another important aspect.
- Reading a story and asking students to recall the details and retell the story is a popular activity in interviews and in KidsEdge’s programme.
- Children are expected to speak in full sentences and be articulative.
- KidsEdge’s Story Telling & Presentation Skills programme can also be considered to help your child become an excellent storyteller.
- Describing a picture is a common practice in most school interviews, in Hong Kong.
- Your child will be provided with a picture, usually one with lots going on, and then asked to describe what they see. Older students maybe asked to supply a title for the picture, or to describe the main idea.
Reading & Phonics
- Children will often be tested on their phonetics skills by giving a story book to read. They are not expected to be able to read everything in the book, but they should demonstrate sound phonetics foundation.
- KidsEdge’s Active Phonics & Reading programme can also be considered, as it is a specialized programme that helps prepare your child to read, spell and write. It is a synthetic phonics programme centered around Letterland phonics. Each week your child will bring home a sight word reader to practice his sight word recognition and reading skills. Good phonics and reading skills will move your child a step closer to a successful primary school interview.
- Reasoning skills are crucial in making great impressions. In interview situations, students are tested to gauge their critical thinking.
- They must reason the causes and reactions to circumstances within a given series of events.
- Observational testing challenges your child to demonstrate attention to detail in any given situation.
- Tests rate your child’s ability to tell a creative story with a linear plot and your child’s ability to work and relate to a group of his peers.
- Through exercises and activities based on the actual reasoning tests, your child will immensely develop reasoning skills and be prepared for any variety of tests.
- Children will participate in mock interviews which are conducted in the manner of real interviews.
- These mock interviews will take place both with parents and without. This is the final step in equipping your child to enter the school of your choice!
Preparation is key when facing admissions interviews. Ensure your child is confident and prepared by enrolling them in Interviewing Skills for Primary School Admission today! For additional information, you can check out our Interview Tips as well.
We also have first-rate classes in place to prepare students for the Cambridge Young Learners Tests. Please contact us for more information and to learn more about this curriculum.