KidsEdge’s Interviewing Skills programme prepares your kids for all aspects of the interview. During the programme, they learn to conduct themselves with poise and confidence. Key-skill-based exercises will be covered in this programme, and these include story telling, phonics, reading & spelling, show and tell and writing. In addition to all skills-based testing preparation, they will learn the importance of posture, eye contact, proper etiquette and smiling.
Your child will become confident and coherent when presenting themselves. They will learn proper etiquette, acquire strong listening skills, and develop the ability to respond in a relevant, intelligent and reasonable manner. Our students learn to make connections between their social and academic life, and by the end of the course, their ability to interact with adults will be significantly heightened.
- Strong communication skills are a programme emphasis. We teach children to use complete sentences, clearly articulate their thoughts, and greet teachers and adults with respect. Development of vocabulary is another important aspect of the Interviewing Skills for Primary School Admission class.
- Story telling is another popular activity in a primary school interview. The teacher will read a story and children will be asked to recall the details and retell the story. Children are expected to speak in full sentences and be articulative.
- KidsEdge’s Story Telling & Presentation Skills programme will help you child become an excellent story teller.
- Describing a picture is a common practice in most school interviews, in Hong Kong. Your child will be provided with a picture, usually one with lots going on, and then asked to describe what they see. Older students maybe asked to supply a title for the picture, or to describe the main idea
Reading & Phonics
- Children will often be tested on their phonetics skills by giving a story book to read. They are not expected to be able to read everything in the book, but they should demonstrate sound phonetics foundation.
- KidsEdge’s Active Phonics & Reading programme is a specialized programme that helps prepare your child to read, spell and write. It is a synthetic phonics programme centered around Letterland phonics. Each week your child will bring home a sight word reader to practice his sight word recognition and reading skills. Good phonics and reading skills will move your child a step closer to a successful primary school interview.
- Reasoning skills are crucial in making great impressions. In interview situations, students are tested to gauge their critical thinking. They must reason the causes and reactions to circumstances within a given series of events. The ability to reason and the manner in which they convey information is a key factor in this testing stage.
- Observational testing challenges your child to demonstrate attention to detail in a particular environment and any given situation. Other tests rate your child’s ability to tell a story with a linear plot based on their imaginative and communicative capacities. Still, additional tests rate your child’s ability to work and relate to a group of his peers and adults.
- Through exercises and activities based on the actual reasoning tests, your child will immensely develop reasoning skills and be prepared for any variety of reasoning tests administered to them.
- Besides learning and building these great skills, children will participate in mock interviews which are conducted in the manner of real interviews. Not only will they are not only prepared, but expect the protocol of an interview situation. These mock interviews will take place both with parents and without. This is the final step in equipping your child to enter the school of your choice!
Preparation is key when facing admissions interviews. Ensure your child is confident and prepared by enrolling them in Interviewing Skills for Primary School Admission today! For additional information, you can check out our Interview Tips as well.
We also have first-rate classes in place to prepare students for the Cambridge Young Learners Tests. Please contact us for more information and to learn more about this curriculum.